OK: hands up if you made some style-related New Year’s resolutions this year?
Now put your other hand up if those resolutions were something along the lines of, “clear out the closet” or “invest in quality pieces, rather than buying vast quantities of fast fashion”.
How many of you currently have both hands in the air right now? We’re going to guess that quite a few people are kicking of 2014 with the intention to clean out their closets, pare down their clothing collections, and invest more wisely in their wardrobes for the coming year. Those are great resolutions, and we’ll probably be trying to keep some of them ourselves (more on that later), but if you’re looking for some other ways to stay stylish in 2014, here are some of the style resolutions we’ll be trying to stick to…
Style Resolutions for 2014
1. Buy/wear clothes because you like them, not because you think you SHOULD like them.
2. Don’t be afraid to dress up: life is too short not to wear beautiful clothes.
3. Don’t confuse style with designer labels: style cannot be bought, labels can.
4. Don’t be a clothes snob: great items can be found in surprising places.
5. Ignore the size on the label: buy the size that fits, whatever it is.
6. Resist the impulse to compare yourself/your style to anyone else.
7. Use it or lose it: try not to cling onto those items you never, ever wear. (Hint: if you’re a shoe hoarder, consider joining ShoeperWoman’s Shoe Challenge!)
8. Only wear shoes you can walk in: nothing says “fashion victim” like someone who’s sacrificed comfort for style.
9. Ignore fashion “rules”: yes, you CAN wear black with navy and white after Labor day…
10. Smile: it’s the best accessory you’ll ever own.